Friday 1 December 2017

Shouldering the burden.


                             Résultat de recherche d'images pour "painful shoulder"

Back on October 1st, just two months ago, I spoke of some damage I'd done to my right shoulder.

I consulted Dr Google, and self-diagnosed that it was either my Rotator Cuff, or a Frozen Shoulder. Both present with much the same symptoms.

It seemed that repair could take anywhere from one year to three; and in certain cases never. I was very depressed at the prognosis.

It was amazingly painful, and debilitating; sleeping at night wasn't easy. There were several things that I could no longer do; it was like living with one completely dead arm, and seeing as I am right-handed was a right bugger. Luckily I could still drive, write, and cook; all tasks that can be done with the arm downwards.

My most important task at this time of year is providing logs for the fire. It has to be (chain)sawn and brought inside, and I was simply having to suffer in non-silence to do the necessary. I even considered getting someone in.

Recently I was doing something that involved lifting with my right arm, when there was a 'silent clunk' up by my shoulder, and my arm suddenly became more mobile. I am now thinking that my problem had been a DISLOCATED SHOULDER, and it had unwillingly popped back into place. The permanent pain on the right side of my neck also immediately disappeared.

Strangely, I had considered this diagnosis, as my shoulder bone did seem more pronounced than before, but being me.....

So, it looks as if I'VE BEEN GOING ROUND WITH A DISLOCATED BLOODY SHOULDER FOR THE PAST TWO MONTHS. I'm still not certain that it was this, but I shall continue to rest my arm for a while, and see what happens. I still have the constant bloody pain, but the arm is slightly more mobile.

It's all a bloody nuisance!



37 comments:

  1. I was about to offer you the stretching/strengthening diagrams my physical therapist gave me for my torn shoulder muscle. It's taken me 11 months to get full mobility back. Lucky it took you such a short time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's still very painful, but I think that'll go in time. I'm told 3 months.

      Delete
  2. Shouldn't you go to a doctor now, confess, and get the cure? And what does Lady M have to say about all this? Quite a lot, I'm guessing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe if you'd gone to see the doctor in October you wouldn't have suffered for two months. Just saying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did go, but didn't like to mention anything about my shoulder. He's a very busy man.

      Delete
  4. Mine has been giving med trouble for over a year (Well on and off for a lot longer) I now have calcification. Anyway, I recently started going for acupuncture so hope that will help.

    Same arm same problems!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh well done you for persevering with the pain and inconvenience at having a bit of you not working properly. Hope everything mends soon. I don't go to the doctors either. Don't like the medications they fill you up with.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Consult a doctor you silly man or you might do some permanent damage !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sue just said the exact words that I was about to say!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The price you pay for Google Self Diagnosis. €25 should have been well spent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe, but he would probably have airlifted me to Bordeaux at €20,000.

      Delete
  9. I had a 'frozen shoulder' for 9 months. I couldn't raise my arm above shoulder level. I injured it reaching too high to pick apples. In the end out of desperation I went to the doc. He pocked and prodded and did a sort of 'half nelson' on it and said I'd left it too long and would need an operation. I refused his offer and went to a physio and had 10 sessions and was cured. About years later my other shoulder froze. Needless to say I did a self-diagnosis and went to the same physio. Another 10 sessions and cured. That's about 10 years ago. No problems since. Conclusion: It pays to get a second opinion, but not always from the same school of medicine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds interesting, I'd rather trust a Physio than a chemical quack.

      Delete
  10. I don't do doctors either, never go near them. The best thing for aches and pains, stiff shoulders, necks and knees, is go for a good massage.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I very rarely go to see the doctor either. Hopefully the ' silent clunk ' has fixed it and it will now improve. Be a bit careful though Cro ...... we do have to realise that we can't do EVERYTHING that we could !!!! I used to be able to do cartwheels but I can't anymore !!!! XXXX


    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure it was my shoulder socket finding its rightful home; it certainly felt like it. I shall be careful for a while.

      Delete
  12. I hope you will feel good and be strong enough for the winter there.(i also think you should see a doctor...).

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like my back pain, that has become only a mild irritation, but seems unfixable by physiotherapists and chiropractors. They should be paid for results, rather than visits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that should apply to 'painkillers' too.

      Delete
  14. Well, at least you do have the luxury of deciding whether you "do doctors" or not. There are people out there in less plentiful parts of the world, and even Rachel appears to have forgotten, who'd give their remaining arm, tooth, even sell a kidney, to get medical attention.

    Considering that you have been told by other readers I'll keep admonishing you short: There is no heroism in prolonging agony when a physio (transferred to by a doctor) might have sorted the problem pretty damn quick. I once eschewed doing the sensible, and was told, rightly, I'd been plain "stupid" taking an unnecessary risk.

    U

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sympathy and encouragement; I'm glad you approve.

      Delete
  15. And we all thought you were making a fuss...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Keep it warm Cro - although that advice was from my English Physio - maybe no need for that advice in your part of the world.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's actually just started to SNOW; only tiny little flakes, but it's still snow!

      Delete
  17. Ignoring something doesn't make it go away Cro....but I'm glad you seem to have inadvertently 'fixed it'..keep well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe not Libby, but at least I don't have to see the quack. I'm sure it'll be fine before toooooo long.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...